UP ST boy death- Villagers protest against police for alleged torture, UP Police suspended three policemen

A 17-year-old boy from ST (Scheduled Tribe) community was accused of mobile theft. The family alleged the boy was thrashed by police during questioning while police claimed his own uncle, complainant in the case, beat him to death

Representative Image

New Delhi January 24

The Uttar Pradesh Police suspended three policemen, in Lakhimpur Kheri district following protests over  death of a minor boy from a Scheduled Tribe (ST) community. The protesters alleged that the 17-year-old boy died allegedly as the police beat him up while questioning him on a theft case. 

As per the case details, the victim uncle had accused him of stealing his cell phone. He was summoned by the police station for questioning in that case. 

The family claimed he was beaten up mercilessly and made to sign a paper of settlement but the beating left him severely injured. The police however claimed that when he was called to the police station there was settlement made in presence of many people and the boy went back home with his family. 

The officials added that there was a written settlement made in the police station where the village chief was also present alongwith the victim’s parents and the uncle who accused him of theft. 

The police added that the boy was rather thrashed by his own uncle and other men who barged into home after the settlement process and beat him up. 

A video on the incident containing details from victim’s sister has gone viral on social media. 

In the purported video, the girl could be heard saying, “Mother took him to the police outpost and told the cops that my son is innocent. The cops asked our mother to return home and they would see what action was to be taken against him…They thrashed my brother, who was just 17 years old, brutally. Two days ago, he felt unwell and later complained of stomach ache. He was rushed to a hospital, where he died…,” the sister is purportedly heard saying in the video.

SP Sanjeev Suman stated that the boy’s family themselves told the police that the uncle thrashed their son miserably. He was admitted to a hospital but he succumbed to his injuries. 

SP Sanjeev Suman added that the sub-inspector who was in charge of the outpost and two constables have been suspended while as separate inquiry has been initiated against them on the allegations by the family and villagers. 

The protests in the village were staged by the accused uncle to shift the blame of his death on police. 

The villagers took out a huge protest demanding action against police and blamed the police behind the boy’s death. 

The police have registered an FIR against the victim’s uncle and his accomplice had been under IPC Section 304 (causing death by negligence). 


Around The World

Around The World


View More Articles